A ready-tied version of the best surf fishing rig - the Pulley Rig - for casting large baits when targeting surf shark and ray species, particularly large Leopard Sharks and Rays.
- Double 8/0 Mutsu Circle Hooks for maximum hook-ups and easy unhooking
- 135lb Wire Leader, Ball Bearing Swivels, 150lb Mono Rub Leader
- Impact Release Clip secures bait inline for casting but deploys bait on impact with water for great distance, perfect presentation and zero tangles
- Team this rig up with one of our 6-8oz Surf Sinkers and Bait Elastic
Bait-wise, we like using whole mackerel but surf perch, croaker, bonito, large sardines and double or triple squid baits are also good options.
We strongly recommend the use of bait elastic to secure the bait to the rig.
This is your go-to rig for general surf predator fishing on the West Coast as it'll land any of the species commonly found including Leopard Sharks, Soupfin Sharks, Smoothhound Sharks, Bat Rays, Butterfly Rays and similar predatory species.
Tied to our professional guides specifications, the rigs are a great option for anyone looking to target larger species from the shore using whole baits.
Simply tie the rig to your mono casting leader using a Palomar or Grinner Knot, clip on a Surf Sinker, attach the bait, clip the bottom hook to the red release clip and you're ready to cast out and fish.
Check out www.americanseafishing.com/videos for more information on how to use the Pulley Rig and go surf fishing for large leopard sharks in California.
10-15ft Med-heavy surf combo (spinning or conventional), 30-60lb braid or 12-30lb mono main line, 10-15ft 60-80lb mono casting leader + 6-8oz Long-Tail Sputnik-style surf sinker
1) ATTACH RIG TO MAIN LINE (RECOMMEND: 60-80LB MONO CASTING / RUB LEADER) WITH FREE RUNNING SWIVEL USING PALOMAR OR UNI KNOT
2) RIG BAIT - FRESH WHOLE MACKEREL IS IDEAL - WITH TOP HOOK THROGH NOSE END AND BOTTOM HOOK LOOSE AROUND THE DORSAL FIN AREA
3) BEND WIRE TAG END TO 90’ ANGLE TO BOTTOM HOOK AND PENETRATE BAIT WITH TAG END TO SECURE IN PLACE
4) USING BAIT ELASTIC, WHIP UP & DOWN BAIT TO SECURE HOOKS FIRMLY IN PLACE, WITH EXTRA WRAPS AROUND THE LIP & TOP HOOK, AND TO SECURE THE BOTTOM HOOK WHEN CASTING. CUT BAIT LENGTH TO SIZE
5) POSITION BOTTOM HOOK IN THE RED PLASTIC CLIP'S SLOT ON THE ROCKER SECTION AND TENSION WHOLE RIG SO THE BAIT IS HELD INLINE WITH SINKER. RIG RELEASES ON IMPACT WITH WATER. USE SURF SINKER WITH LONG WIRE STEM TO ENSURE RELEASE.