Ready-tied, heavy-duty version of the best surf fishing rig - the Pulley Rig - for casting large baits when targeting surf shark and ray species from the beach or shoreline, particularly large Soupfin Sharks, Bat Rays, Sevengill Sharks, Leopard Sharks and similar species.
- 10/0 Mutsu Circle hook & 10/0 Ultra Chinu top hook for maximum hook-ups
- 210lb Wire Leader, Ball Bearing Swivels & 200lb Mono Rub Leader
- Impact Release Clip secures bait inline for casting but deploys bait on impact with water for great distance, perfect presentation & zero tangles
- Team this rig up with one of our 6-8oz Surf Sinkers & Bait Elastic for a great surf shark fishing set-up
Bait-wise, we like using fresh mackerel or bonito sections with this rig, but surf perch and croaker baits are also good bait options for targeting any predatory surf species. The best out of those options is a bonito head.
We strongly recommend the use of bait elastic to secure the bait to the rig.
This is your go-to rig for heavy-duty surf predator fishing around reefs and structure on the West Coast as it'll land any of the species commonly found including Soupfin Sharks, Sevengill Sharks, Leopard Sharks, Smoothhound Sharks, Bat Rays, Butterfly Rays, and similar predatory species.
Tied to our professional guide's specifications, the rigs are a great option for anyone looking to target larger species from the shore using whole baits.
Simply tie the rig to your mono casting leader using a Palomar or Grinner Knot, clip on a Surf Sinker, attach your bait, secure the bottom hook in the red release clip and you're ready to cast out and fish.
Each rig now comes with full instructions on the back and a QR code to link to our tips and video page for easy reference.
Check out www.americanseafishing.com/videos for more information on how to use the Pulley Rig and go surf fishing for large leopard sharks in California.
10-15ft Med-heavy surf combo (spinning or conventional), 40-80lb braid or 12-40lb mono main line, 10-15ft 60-80lb mono casting leader plus a 6-8oz Long-Tail Sputnik-style surf sinker
1) ATTACH RIG TO MAIN LINE (RECOMMEND: 60-80LB MONO CASTING / RUB LEADER) WITH FREE RUNNING SWIVEL USING PALOMAR OR UNI KNOT
2) RIG BAIT - FRESH WHOLE MACKEREL IS IDEAL - WITH TOP HOOK THROUGH NOSE END AND BOTTOM HOOK LOOSE AROUND THE DORSAL FIN AREA
3) BEND WIRE TAG END TO 90’ ANGLE TO BOTTOM HOOK AND PENETRATE BAIT WITH TAG END TO SECURE IN PLACE
4) USING BAIT ELASTIC, WHIP UP & DOWN BAIT TO SECURE HOOKS FIRMLY IN PLACE, WITH EXTRA WRAPS AROUND THE LIP & TOP HOOK, AND TO SECURE THE BOTTOM HOOK WHEN CASTING. CUT BAIT LENGTH TO SIZE
5) POSITION BOTTOM HOOK IN THE RED PLASTIC CLIP'S SLOT ON THE ROCKER SECTION AND TENSION WHOLE RIG SO THE BAIT IS HELD INLINE WITH SINKER. RIG RELEASES ON IMPACT WITH WATER. USE SURF SINKER WITH LONG WIRE STEM TO ENSURE RELEASE.